Posted by: Jennifer Welch on Fri, Apr 22, 2016
COD Draft Minutes April 21, 2016
Calvary By the Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
April 21, 2016
1) Call to Order and Roll Call: The meeting was called to order at 6:05 by Geoff Hamilton. Members present: Geoff Hamilton, Cheryl Tuitele, Michael May, Mary Pat Ashby, Pastor Tim, Lisa May Montano, Kaui Lucas, Jon Osorio, and Bryce Harkin. Also present: Tom Poole, Shelby Yuu, and Joan Hiel
2) Devotions: The meeting was opened with a biblical reading and prayer led by Pastor Tim.
3) Approval of Minutes from the March 17, 2016 council Meeting: Geoff Hamilton made a motion to approve the minutes. Lisa May Montano seconded. Unanimous.
4) New Business: President Geoff Hamilton opened the meeting to the public and recognized Joan Hiel as a non-member, teacher at Calvary By the Sea Montessori School, and trainer/teacher of the Catechesis of the Good Shepard – Montessori curriculum.
1. Montessori Catechism – Presentation by Joan Hiel
Joan started by giving a quick overview and introduction of the different churches’ involvement in the Catechesis of the Good Shepard. Joan then told us about her background, training and curriculum requirements (3 levels, level 1 part 1 is 10 days of training, 2 consecutive summers) she finished level 3 last summer. Equivalent to a master’s level in theology.
Joan gave an overview of the Catechesis of the Good Shepard training curriculum. She discussed that the materials are totally scripture based and in line with the Montessori style of teaching with hands-on materials. Joan walked the Council through a teaching example of the Mustard Seed, she read from the scripture booklet, light a candle that Christ is with us, reminder that Jesus is the light of the world, told the parable with asking the Council questions to ponder. The questions would get harder as the students get older – the older children would help lead the scripture. The key is to ponder what it means? What is our faith? Not to have the answers?
After giving us the big picture, she showed a short video of training in the classroom. Joan then presented a proposal to us regarding different training options if we chose to train teachers in the Catechesis of the Good Shepard.
ACTION ITEM: Joan to provide pamphlet literature with Jennifer Welch
ACTION ITEM: Joan to send dates of potential training to Jennifer Welch
ACTION ITEM: Present to congregation to find potential teachers (include school parents)
2. Tribes – Renee Ako and Garrett Picks
Renee started by sharing some thoughts about tribes. She provided some background about tribes and her strength in being responsible for the administrative side of the tribe with Mary Osorio being the heart and passion. Tribes are losing members and getting frustrated with the overall lack of volunteers. For example: Tribe 6 does not have a leader.
Renee’s request to the Council is that the Tribes need some type of revitalization. It is pretty common now to have holes in services.
Garrett’s request to the Council was to potentially change the process/concept – using the whole congregation as a pool, create a board? Anyone can sign up? Not a well-defined process.
ACTION ITEM: Talk to all the tribe leaders and bring them together (meal) to potentially find a sustainable solution
ACTION ITEM: Sunday: Set up a table with all the tribe leaders to discuss tribes and sign up volunteers.
3. Check signing: Cheryl Tuitele
A motion was made by Cheryl Tuitele that we establish Mary Pat Ashby as the primary signatory for all checks under $1,000 in accordance with our church by-laws and the continue with the existing signatories for the church’s First Hawaiian Bank Checking Account: Jennifer Welch, Geoff Hamilton, Cheryl Tuitele, and Shelby Yuu. Jon Osorio seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
4. Staff Support Committee: Cheryl Tuitele
Cheryl Tuitele provided the list of Staff Support Committee members whose term is expiring in April 2016 – Thea Johanos, Kaui Lucas, and John Travis. In accordance with the by-laws this a rotation of 3 members every year for a 2 year term.
ACTION ITEM: Pastor Tim and President Geoff Hamilton to provide three committee member names.
) Treasurer’s Report (Mary Pat Ashby): Mary Pat reviewed the financial report that she submitted. Overall our net income is below projected expense due to non-expenditures. Our income is under budget due to a decline in offerings and wedding income. Expenses were also down in Missions due to not purchasing bibles for the Japanese weddings during the 2016 year. (Bibles were purchased ahead in the 2015 budget.) Mary Pat also introduced a new view of 2016 Expenses by Program Area report which will allow managers to watch their monthly expenses. Mary Pat will meet with each of the managers to understand and review their reports.
ACTION ITEM: Mary Pat to meet with Program Manager to review the new report.
6) Old Business: Geoff Hamilton – Geoff discussed the Hukilau Conference attendance and the need for procedural decisions (ELC conference, leadership conference (who to attend), separate meeting of the CoD). Options to consider: Synod involvement – leadership conference, Get together with our colleagues, Futures Planning
ACTION ITEM: Survey working session – May 19th at 6:30
1. Montessori Pre-School: written report submitted by Jennifer Welch and read by CoD during the meeting. Great job Jennifer with the running of the school!
2. Music and Worship – Tom Poole presented the COD report for the Worship and Arts and the request for reconsideration of the Liturgical Dance Coordinator part-time position. Mary Pat referred the Council to a comment on the letter written by Lisa Kimsey regarding Jennifer Kao and her daughter visiting.. “Her randomly joining us was totally cool and amazing and wonderful and chicken skin and a God thing!!!” Mahalo for helping to create a place where this kind of healing can take place!
3. Pastor’s Report –Pastor Tim presented his report verbally and his current schedule (trying to take off on Mondays and Tuesdays)
8) Adjournment and Closing Prayer
9) Next COD Meeting: May 19, 2016
Notes taken by Cheryl Tuitele, COD member, and uploaded by Jennifer Welch, Secretary of the COD