Posted by: Admin on Tue, Jan 17, 2017
Calvary-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
December 15, 2016
1) Call to Order and Roll Call The meeting was called to order by Jennifer Welch at 6:08 p.m. In attendance: Mary Pat Ashby, Lea Del Castillo, Pat Wong, Lisa May Montano, Cheryl Tuitele, Jennifer Welch, Pastor Tim Mason, Jon Osorio, Kaui Lucas, and later, Geoff Hamilton. Also present: Momi Martinez, Tom Poole.
2) Devotions Devotions based on Romans 8:23-25 were led by Pastor Tim Mason followed by prayer.
3) Approval of Minutes from the November 2016 Council Meeting Pat Wong motioned to approve the minutes of the November 2016 Council Meeting and Mary Pat Ashby seconded. Unanimous.
- Music and Worship - Tom Poole
- Tom will be out of town January 9 – 19, 2017
- Highlighted Worship services:
- Dec. 16, 2016 Blue Christmas service 7:00 p.m.
- Dec 18, 2016 PAC Sunday
- Dec. 24 Christmas Eve 5:30 Pageant 10:00 p.m. Midnight Service
- Dec 25, 2016 Regular 7:30 and 10:00 worship services
- January 8, 2016 Lunch after service so parishioners can attend the concert given by the Concordia University Wind Ensemble from St. Paul MN
- January 22, 2016 Bishop Andy Taylor preaching and fellowship to follow
- January 29, 2016 Sunday School Presentation led by Kelly Holden
- February 19, 2016 8:30 a.m. service followed by 9:00 a.m. Annual Congregational Meeting. The service will conclude with Holy Communion.
- February 26, 2016 Special Music, The Emilios (Father is part of the Gospel Heralds) Bring food for Fellowship Hour.
- March 1, 2016 Ash Wednesday 7:00 p.m. service
- Montessori Preschool - Momi Martinez
- The preschool currently has 10 fulltime teachers and 3 substitute teachers who all work well with one another and provide quality care for our students. Sharon Tamanaha will be rehired (she left to care for her grandbaby) to assist in Aftercare.
- The sandbox will be replaced during the Winter break, December 16 – January 6.
- January 9 is Orientation for new Students
- January 10 school resumes for all students.
- November Net Income was -$2,249.55 and August – November Net Income (including fundraisers) was $40,935.78.
- Treasurer - Mary Pat Ashby
- Treasurer’s Summary:
Stewardship offerings were 12% below budget year-to-date (YTD). This represents a slight improvement from last month, which was 13% below budget YTD.
Wedding income was below budget YTD by 7%. UI Productions has forecast only 870 weddings by year-end, as compared to the budget of 950.
Total YTD income was below budget by 8%, an improvement over last month which was 10% below budget.
Total year-to-date expenses were under budget 8%. Personnel have managed their budgets to maintain the cost savings that was predicted earlier in the year when the downturn in revenue was recognized.
- Net Income
A positive net income was budgeted for this time period (year-to-date). However, the actual net income was a small loss – nearly break even. This is primarily due to decreased revenues.
The year-end projection for FY 2016 has been updated. Income is projected slightly higher than previously, and expenses are well controlled; a net loss is still projected, but is considerably lower than previous estimates.
- Projection as of 12/15/16: $20k loss.
- Pastor - Tim Mason
- Pastor Tim asked for reactions to the use of a seven-week Advent cycle.
- Saturday worship is still sparsely attended but primarily attended by military. It is preceded by 5:00 p.m. Bible study.
- Crossways Bible study is studying the meaning of Christmas
- The nominating committee has met.
- Attendance at weekly Pastor-led sessions:
- Prayer Circle: 9
- Bible Study: 10
- Confirmation: 8
- January 11, 2017 Pastor is meeting with other pastors to discuss sharing Vacation Bible School with one week at each church and a final camp possibly at Camp Mokuleia.
- Western States Youth Gathering will be held this summer at Cal Lutheran University.
- January 8th: Potluck at 5:30 followed by a showing of “No Room in Paradise” and an opportunity to meet the director Anthony Alto. This is a 90-minute documentary on the homelessness in Hawaii.
5) New Business
- 2017 Annual Budget
- Capital budget
- CBTS Website Report
- Operating budget
- Capital budget
After a presentation and discussion of the proposed 2017 annual budget, there was a consensus that the first proposal of the budget is looking good. We will vote on the budget in January when John Keys has finalized the year-end finances and Mary Pat has put the final touches on the Budget.
Mary Pat also shared an initial proposal for the Heffrin Gift Fund monies. We will consider and vote on the initial proposal for how to use the Heffrin Gift Fund monies in January. COD members were asked to reread the gift fund guidelines in their book and to prayerfully consider ideas for Mission giving within the Heffrin Funds.
6) Old Business
- Kaui reported that the bidding process is over. There are four proposals currently being considered. We are looking at completion in mid-March.
7) Adjournment and Closing Prayer The meeting was closed with the Lord’s Prayer and adjourned at 8:52 p.m.
8) Next COD Meeting January 19, 2016