Posted by: Admin on Tue, Feb 14, 2017
Calvary-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
January 19, 2017
1) Call to Order and Roll Call: The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
Present: Geoff Hamilton, Mary Pat Ashby, Lea Del Castillo, Pat Wong, Paul O. Jones, Kaui Lucas, Jon Osorio, Bryce Harken, and Mike May.Also present: Tom Poole, Momi Martinez
2) Devotions were led by Tom Poole. We spoke of Tom’s visit to his parents and it reminded him of the passage of the paralyzed man, those who carried him, and the crowds around Jesus as well as the lengths they went to allow Jesus to heal them. At times, we carry our friends and help them, and there are times when our friends carry us. Our prayer is for all to be open to grace and accept the help of others.
3) Approval of Minutes from the December 2016 Council Meeting: Lea Del Castillo motioned to approve the minutes and Paul O. Jones seconded. Unanimous
- Music and Worship - Tom Poole
- Lisa is going to time each of the moments in worship service to see how we are doing (Moment of Silence, i.e.). Hymns, varied in approach (instrumentalists on one verse, not singing all verses.)
- 7:30 service: More traditional with the sung liturgy
- 10:30 service: Lots of variation: Calvary at its best!
- Saturday evening service: Scripture and response. Geoff Hamilton commented that he would like this service to be more interactive.
- January 22nd: Bishop Andy Taylor will be visiting. Communion will be at the doors followed by a baptism in the ocean.
- February 19th: Annual meeting with one service at 8:30. The annual congregational meeting will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. and conclude with Holy Communion.
- February 26th: The Emilio family will be our guests and sing for us.
- Ash Wednesday and Lenten services begin on March 8th: Tom is suggesting studying Luther’s small catechism.
- A big mahalo for all that Mary Pat Ashby did to feed the Concordia College Wind Ensemble a couple of weeks ago!
- Montessori Preschool - Momi Martinez
- School was closed on December 16 – January 6 due to Christmas break. School was also closed January 16th for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- For Spring semester, there are 6 new students: 14 total in the Toddler program and 50 total in the Primary program with 22 enrolled in Aftercare.
- CBTSMS continues to offer Calvary Children’s Choir which resumes on January 25th.
- A new Enrichment class, titled Soccer Shots will begin on Tuesdays in February.
- The preschool has rehired Miss Sharon Tamanaha to assist in Aftercare from 2:30 – 5:30. There are now a total of 10 full-time teachers, one part-time teacher and two substitute teachers.
- On January 6th, all preschool staff completed the American Heart Association Pediatric First Aid, Child/Infant CPR AED and Adult AED training.
- The school will be celebrating Chinese New Year next Friday. The keiki will sample popular Chinese New Year’s treats. Extended Day will be performing the Lion Dance in Ohana Hall at 2:45 p.m.
- Amie Lawyer is leading our Jump Rope for Heart on February 7th – 9th, 2017 during recess.
- The school has a net income in December of $2708.21.
- The school’s net income for August – December 2016 is 43,643.99.
- Treasurer - Mary Pat Ashby
- Net income for December 2016 is $2,708.21. The full report is on file in the church office.
- Pastor - Tim Mason
- Bishop Andy Taylor will be visiting our church January 22nd, 2017.
- After discussing the OYEA Board meeting and the lack of interest in a cooperative Vacation Bible School this summer, a motion was made to authorize Pastor Tim to secure an outside group (LRCC) to lead the vacation Bible School for a one or two week program at CBTS. Jon Osorio seconded. Unanimous.
- Western States Youth Gathering proposal at California Lutheran University. This proposal is for grades 9 – 12 and the event will be held 6/28 – 7/2/2017. The Pastor recommended a proposal for a budget of $2000 per student. Mary Pat stated that there is currently $4000 in a sub-account for the Youth Gatherings. Jon Osorio moved that we allocate the $4000 and additional money from the Lau Fund to send students to WSYG and that any participants would actively participate in fundraising events as well as lead a Temple Talk when they return. Pat Wong seconded. Unanimous.
5) New Business
- 2016 Year End Attendance Report – Mary Pat presented a written chart of attendance by month 2014 – 16. Attendance over the two-year period is down 14.1%. The full report is on file in the church office.
- 2016 Year End Financial Report – Mary Pat Ashby
- Actual giving is down 16% from the budgeted amount. Given that we controlled expenses from the time we projected the loss, we only were behind $24,673.00. Weddings are down 7%.
- Legacy Gifts: Mary Pat Ashby went over the current status of our two legacy gifts, one from the Heffrin estate and Diane Lau’s estate.
- Gift Policy - Normally, if a gift is designated to a certain item or area, it is voted on by the council before it is designated. Since this couldn’t be done in Diane Lau’s case, Mary Pat made a motion to honor Diane Lau’s wishes to use her gift for the youth of Calvary By the Sea Lutheran Church. The motion was moved by Lea Del Castillo and seconded by Jon Osorio. Unanimous.
- Heffrin Fund Recommendation – Mary Pat handed out a Heffrin Fund Recommendation for how to use the gift money. Council discussed the proposal and came to a consensus. The Recommendation will be presented in the congregational annual meeting during the 2017 Budget Presentation.
- Self-insurance of Hale Aloha for floods – This was tabled until the February 16th meeting.
- Lau Funds received as of 12/30/16 – Mary Pat announced what has been received so far. This will be announced at the Annual Meeting.
- Update on status of the Investment Review Committee. The Investment Review committee has met and they will be meeting with Mary Pat Ashby prior to the February COD meeting. Their report will be given at the February meeting.
- 2017 Annual Budget
- Final Capital budget presentation Mary Pat presented a budget and the COD approved the proposed budget.
- Final Operating budget presentation
- Proposal for change to Stephen Ministry budget: Lisa May Montano proposes to change the Stephen Ministry budget to $250.00. Kaui Lucas seconded. Unanimous.
- Jennifer motioned to accept the Operating and Capital Budgets with the discussed adjustments as discussed by the COD and to have Mary Pat Ashby present the budget at the Annual Meeting on February 19th. Lea Del Castillo seconded. Unanimous.
- At the annual meeting, the COD is authorizing Jon Osorio, Lea Del Castillo and Kaui Lucas to count the ballots.
- There will be an additional meeting of the COD February 16, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. for the Investment Committee proposal and tour of ANC.
- Executive Session – Pastor Tim’s Annual Review - Cheryl
6) Old Business
There was no old business.
7) Adjournment and Closing Prayer: The meeting was adjourned by Geoff Hamilton at 9:07 p.m.
8) Next COD Meeting February 16, 2017 at 6:00 p.m.