Posted by: Admin on Mon, Jul 25, 2016
Calvary-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
July 21, 2016
1) Call to Order and Roll Call: Jennifer Welch, Lea Del Castillo, Jon Osorio, Kaui Lucas, Geoff Hamilton, Cheryl Tuitele, Lisa May Montano, Mary Pat Ashby, Mike May and Paul O. Jones. Also present were Momi Martinez, Susan Lord, Shelby Yuu, Tim Sprowls, Tom Poole and Kelly Holden.
2) Devotions: Tom Poole shared a passage from the gospel of Luke.
3) Approval of Minutes from the June 2016 Council Meeting
Amendments to June 2016 minutes:
Cheryl made a motion to change 5 b) to approve the credit card request for CBTSMS on June 16th, 2016 and includes approving and authorizing the removal of Jennifer Welch and the replacement of Momi Martinez as a credit card signatory for $5,000. Additionally, Joan Hiel, Tricia Kunihiro, Audrey Sutherland, Chesha Funk and Kris Tacub are authorized for credit cards with a limit of $500 each for a total of $7,500 of credit for the school. Jennifer seconded. Unanimously approved.
Cheryl made a motion to update the April 21, 2016 minutes, item 3, check signing for the Calvary By the Sea Montessori School checking and maximizer account to include Mary Pat Ashby as the primary signatory for all checks under $1,000 in accordance with our church by-laws and to continue with the existing signatories for the school’s account: Jennifer Welch, Geoff Hamilton, Cheryl Tuitele and Shelby Yuu. Jennifer seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Montessori Preschool - Momi Martinez
- School is closed during July, 2016 and will reopen August 8, 2016 for the Fall semester.
- Calvary’s Children’s Choir will resume on September 2, 2016. The teachers and Momi Martinez will decide on additional enrichment classes for the school year at their August 1st staff meeting.
- Staffing is still being finalized. Sharon Tamanaha will not be returning in the Fall, due to the birth of a new grandson, who she will be caring for.
- Financially, the school has done well from August 2015 through June 2016 with a net income of $80,555.44. This money will be used for upcoming projects: sandbox replacement, toddler class tile floor renovation, lockable cabinet for chemicals, sink for open primary class and other minor repairs (screens, paint, etc.)
- Toddler program is full with 14 students. In January, 3 toddlers will enter the Primary Program and 3 new toddlers from the waiting list will be enrolled in the open spaces.
- The Primary program has a current enrollment of 47 students. There are 4 openings for Fall, 2016.
- The school’s AMI Affiliation expires August, 2016. Since all of the teachers are AMS certified, they have applied for American Montessori Society (AMS) Initiate membership and will work toward being AMS accredited in a year or two.
- Treasurer - Mary Pat Ashby
- Mary Pat explained how the church classifies Assets, Liabilities and Equities. She then showed the COD our balance sheet as of June 30, 2016. Our total liabilities and equity comes to $4,676,465.25. This includes land, buildings, furniture, etc.
- Mary Pat then presented a treasurer’s summary:
- Year-to-Date June, 2016:
- Stewardship Offerings were 13% below budget year-to- date (YTD).
- Wedding income was below budget YTD by 9%. The number of weddings increased significantly over prior months, but were still lower than budgeted.
- Total year-to- date income (adjusted) was below budget by 11%.
- Total expenses were under budget 8%.
- Most of the expense budget was spread evenly across the year, with a few exceptions.
- Building and Grounds will be re-carpeting the sanctuary, sealing the driveway, and moving the air conditioners in Ohana Lani (preschool) during the two-week campus closure which begins on the last Monday of the month. Much of the budget for this area will be used in July and August.
- Payments to foreign missionaries were made in June for the first six (6) months of the year; thereafter, they will be made quarterly.
- The Sunday School program will begin in September.
- The Worship & amp; Music program has postponed its production of Godspell until 2017 – 2018.
- A loss (negative income) was budgeted for this time period. However, as the revenue variance is more negative than the expense variance, net income was significantly lower than budgeted.
- Mary Pat is recommending that several areas of the budget should try to not spend all of the money budgeted to them, so we minimize the year-end loss and are good stewards of the budget.
- Pastor’s Report – There was no report from the Pastor.
- Music and Worship - Tom Poole
Upcoming dates to note:
- Pastor on vacation, July 20 – August 3, 2016
- Ina and Fletch on vacation July 27 – July 31
- July 30/31: Guest Preacher, JP Sabbithi
- August 7: Guest Preacher, Steve Jensen from Wounded Warriors
- August 11: First Thursday Choir rehearsal 6:30 p.m.
- August 14: Dedication of Organ Plaque/Thanksgiving to monetary Donors
- September 4th or 11th: Tentative installation of Montessori School Teachers/Staff and blessing of students
- September 18: Peace Vigil
- October 2, 3:00 p.m.: Blessing of the animals
- October 7-9(10): Calvary ‘Ohana Retreat, Camp Mokuleia
- Staff Support Committee – Cheryl Tuitele
1) Call to Order and Roll Call: 5:40 pm
Lisa May John Travis X Kaui Lucas X Laura Sprowls X Pat Wong X Cheryl Tuitele
2) Policies and Procedures – Overtime
a. DOL Guidelines – reviewed US Department of Labor Fact Sheet 14A: Non-Profit Organizations and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Dialogued with consensus that CBTS does not engage in ordinary commercial activities thus are not covered enterprises.
Provided reference materials for understanding the Overtime Final Rule and the Non-Profit Sector and Guidance for Non-Profit Organizations on Paying Overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Discussed not wanting to make a “bad” rule worse with implementing/providing guidance
i. Review reference materials with Pastor Tim and Shelby
ii. Provide recommendations
Do not grant overtime – requires prior approval (Treasurer)
Time tracking at an hourly basis – trial for 1-2 weeks
Review work schedule with job descriptions/activities performed
Adjust / reprioritize tasks as needed
b. Calvary By the Sea Employee Handbook
Reviewed handbook pages 10-15. Dialogued on the lax administration of working schedule/hours. General discussion occurred and a further deep dive on the Employee Handbook will occur in the next quarterly meeting.
3) Open Discussion – email concerns voiced by members (Flag/IRS Tax status)
4) Staff Support Committee next meeting October 19, 2016 (Quarterly) – otherwise as needed
Meeting adjourned: 6:40 pm
5) New Business
- American Flag Displayed on church grounds
Staff Support Committee looked into this and there are very strict standards pertaining to flying the flag. In addition, there are some Hawaiians who would prefer not to have the American flag flying in front of their place of worship. Due to the amount of details and plans involved, the COD came to a consensus that we would not move forward on the flag flying in front of CBTS.
- Wedding Business Plan – Mary Pat Ashby
Paul Tomitas called Mary Pat with two new ideas for the wedding business. The 4 p.m. slot is not popular, and couples are requesting photos without the wedding ceremony in the sanctuary area. The executive committee proposed that couples should still get a Bible from the church.
Cheryl made a motion that CBTS COD does hereby authorize UI Productions use of the time frame of 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. opening the facility for their business needs in cooperation with CBTS. If a group uses the second hour of the 4 – 6:00 p.m. slot there would be a 25% discount on that hour. Lea seconded. Mike May and Tim Sprowls will write an addendum to the contract and have it signed by all parties. Unanimous.
- Ohana Retreat – Kim Bock
Deferred to August meeting
- ANC Security Hours – Jewell Tuitele
A proposal was made to have the Security Guard for ANC work from 9:00 – 1:00 instead of the 8:00-noon currently in place. Mac’s hours would be adjusted to 7:30 a.m.
-Shelby will check with the security company to see if those hours would work and we will revisit this next month.
- Sunday School Director (Susan Lord and Kelly Holden)
Kelly Holden has applied to be the Sunday School Director as an independent contractor. Sunday School will begin September 4th, 2016. The curriculum is produced by Deep Blue, called “One Room Sunday School” and is applicable to ages 3 – 12. Cheryl Tuitele and the Staff Support committee will work with Kelly to create the contract and go through background checks, etc. for having her work with our children. The COD were in consensus to approve Kelly’s proposal.
Added to new business:
Kaui brought up the topic of installing motion sensor lights and/or cameras outside the church. If we install cameras, all of the preschool parents would ned to be notified and sign their permission to have minors monitored. Tim Sprowls will look into this.
6) Old Business
- Montessori Catechism (Susan Lord)
- Joan Heil is on board to begin training on Fridays at 3:30 for 20 weeks beginning in September. Anyone interested in becoming a trained Motessori Catechism Sunday School Teacher should inquire at the church office.
- Reserve Study/Scheduling - Tim Sprowls
3 big projects:
- Air conditioning: Probably won’t be done by School’s beginning August 8th due to electrical upgrades and county permits, but is proceeding.
- Carpeting for the sanctuary has been selected and it is on order. It will be installed early in the week of August 1st. We are also replacing the Indoor/Outdoor carpet by the entry.
- Driveway sealing: We have two quotes. $8,500 for the reseal. $26,000 was budgeted. The repair and reseal will be completed on August 6th in the morning. The parking lot will reopen at 2:00 p.m. on August 6th.
- Survey procedural discussion
- Procedures and Methods
- Meeting time discussion
- July 29th 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. DLNR Board Room 1151 Punchbowl Street Sea Level Adaptation Information Meeting regarding rising sea levels and their effect on shorefront impact. Geoff Hamilton is attending, and others are welcome to also attend.
The COD went into Executive Session at 8:03 p.m. The executive session ended at 8:58 p.m.
The COD agreed to hold a meeting on Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. to go over the Survey completed by the membership. This will be a closed meeting and in executive session. The COD will give a summary of their meeting after it is over, during the August 18th regularly scheduled COD meeting.
7) Adjournment and Closing Prayer: Mike motioned for adjournment. We all seconded. Meeting adjourned 9:00 p.m.
8) Next COD Meeting: August 18, 2016